Thursday, July 30, 2009

How old does a miniature poodle have to be before you can get the first hair cut?

I have a month and 3 day old miniature poodle and I would like to know how old she has to be before her first hair cut?



How old does a miniature poodle have to be before you can get the first hair cut?

I used to raise teacup poodles. I always let the trimmer run near their faces before I ever started clipping them. This always made it so that when I did begin to just shave their feet at about 2 months of age, the puppy never fought the clippers. the sound did not scare the pup. I would take a puppy to BE clipped at about 3 months of age. Since I did it myself, in order to make sure they never shyed from the clippers, it was always an easy task, and the pups were never afraid of the sound.



How old does a miniature poodle have to be before you can get the first hair cut?

Ethical groomers will want your puppy to have completed its first sets of shots before grooming. That is for their own safety. Then they will usually recommend a puppy cut which is face feet and tail and a bit of scissoring. It's good to get your puppy clipped for the first time as soon as possible once she has her shots so she will become accustomed to the sounds of clippers, dryers etc.



Get references for the groomer you will take your dog to.



I used to be a groomer and i have seen excellent groomers and I have seen some that are very bad with animals.



How old does a miniature poodle have to be before you can get the first hair cut?

What is this puppy doing away from it's mother? It is way too young to leave the litter.



At any rate, I believe poodle breeders give pups their first haircut as early as 6-8 weeks, but I would not take the dog to a groomer's until it's had it's second shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment